Monday, December 24, 2007

Music Videos, Monday Night Football and Dead Grapes! Wheeeee!

Back before I became a "real" blogger, with literally dozens of bored interweb readers, I used to hammer away at the keyboard on my myspace blog. One of those entries from a year or so ago chronicled my way through VH-1's countdown of the "100 Greatest Songs of the 80s." I had lots of opinions and memories as we counted down, given that the 80s were probably the high point of my life, and music played in important role in my formative years and served as the soundtrack to life. Yeah, pretty much downhill since.

The 90s were kind of a blur of work, bad relationships, professional ambition and way too many nights in Buckhead. But still, that's the last time I really paid attention to pop music, before it became all about song credits with "featuring" in the title; I discovered DirecTV where you could actually select the genre of song you wanted to hear; and listening to the radio became about acquiring information on sports, news and politics (thanks, Sam!).

So tonight, I'm going to work my way through the recently aired VH-1's Greatest Songs of the 90s. I doubt I'll finish, as I'm already on bottle of wine number 2 and have to keep up with the critical Monday Night Football game. Well, critical only if you have Jay Cutler and LT playing for your fantasy team, and you're in the championship game of your fantasy league. (Pass, Broncos! Run, Chargers!). But I'll start the process and finish sometime soon, thanks to the miracle of TiVo.

In a series of posts following this one, I'll cover the Greatest Songs of the 90s special and offer thoughts, recollections and insights into the insipid yet memorable tunes/videos of the last decade. Pour yourself another drink and remember along with me, as we enter the Wayback Machine and set the dial for 1990.

No comments:

Post a Comment