Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Dawg Fans - I need help with a license plate


Okay, y'all, as part of this transition one of the many beloved things I'm giving up is my UGA logo license plate. Here, you can get Chesapeake Bay and "agricultural heritage" among other things, but dammit, I want my Uga.

For some reason, wanting the "unattainable" reminds me of this Dwight Schrute comment:

Dwight: "Once I'm officially regional manager, my first order of business will be to demote Jim Halpert. So I will need a new number two. My ideal choice? Jack Bauer. But he is unavailable. Fictional. And overqualified."

Short of that, I can still get a "vanity" license plate to communicate my Bulldog heritage and pride here in ACC country. (Oddly, there seems to be more passion here for the Ravens and Redskins rather than the Terps, but it's not college hoops season. Oh, and everyone still hates Spurrier, so at least that feels familiar).

Okay, dear readers and fellow Dawg fans, here's your challenge. I need some combination of seven letters and numbers for which to apply. Obviously, I won't be the only Dawg here that's had this bright idea, so many of the obvious options (i.e. UGADAWG) will probably be taken. I'll show up at the DMV office and harrass some poor government drone into checking the availability of as many as I can before the people behind me in line (or the Borg itself) go postal. Here are the rules as they list them on their website:

  • You will have to really rack your brain to come up with words or phrases that you could live with attached to your vehicle.
  • Space is allotted to only seven slots (six on disabled and motorcycle plates).
  • Only letters and numbers are acceptable―no characters.

Now, I still need to verify if they accept LESS than seven; or accept spaces. And I think I have 60 or 90 days to do this. I'll update the post later this week once I've contacted my friendly DMV 4 of 9, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero to confirm the details.

But put on your thinking caps and give me some ideas. Send this link to other fellow tailgaters and Dawgs. You can leave your suggestions in the comments sections, or send them to me via e-mail. Perhaps this will be a good exercise during the long tailgate for the OSU game, when creativity will be flowing in numerous 12 ounce increments.

Here are a few I scribbled today during lunch to get you started:

UGA1988
UGA88
UGALVR
ILUVUGA
DAWG88
DAWGMSC
MSCDAWG
MDDAWG
UGAALUM
TWNHEDGS
UGAER
UGA1
UGAWOOF





5 comments:

  1. Perhaps this can be one aspect of your new "journey"..... a campaign organized within the state of Maryland for a UGA plate. A brief perusal of the net shows official plates for several schools there. The damn gators are trying to get one here. Surely there are enough displaced "Dawgs" in Maryland to merit the issuance of such a plate. By the way, I've always liked the crest, or whatever it is that Maryland has on their state flag and documents. Cool look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I like that too. Very Knights of the Roundtable. And it shows up in Ravens stuff also. But I doubt I'll be able to affect what the prisoners are stamping out in the next two months. So short term, I still need some ideas. No Freebird wit and wisdom? Or should I just assume they're forthcoming?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some obvious ones:
    Bulldog
    DawgFan or Dog Fan
    #1Dawg
    TopDawg
    DawgMan

    Or combine several hobbies:

    DawgLeg (for the Dawgs and golf)
    TrekDawg (for your sci-fi affinity -- Although I am sure GaTrek is taken in every state in the Union by some displaced jacket)....

    Or since you will undoubtedly have a license plate holder which says University of Georgia Alumni or something of that type, you could go with something that evokes the thought of football:

    SanfordS
    TwnHedge
    Athens
    TailbackU

    Any knowledgeable football fan will know where you are coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about a simple GODAWGS?
    -Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will give you Richard's favorite.. if you have the UGA license plate holder, he likes
    G8rH8r!

    ReplyDelete