It's that time of year again, when I look back at my Favorite TV Characters of the calendar year, AND give you a chance to win a valuable prize.
First, some background.
- To read about the idea of the contest, check out this post.
- To see 2009's character collage, check out this post.
- And to see the results of the 2009 contest, won by the very sharp and delightful Amanda (blog here, twitter here), check out this post.
If you don't feel like reading that (but you should, of course), here's a quick overview of the contest and the rules:
- Below I've posted a collage of cropped images of my 25 Favorite TV Characters from the calendar year 2010.
- Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to accurately identify all* 25 characters. NOT the actor. NOT the show. The character.
- Entries should be a list, numbered 1-25, with the corresponding character name.
- The first reader to send me an email correctly identifying all* the characters will win a prize.
- Deadline for entries is midnight, Sunday, December 26th.
- The prize will be an iTunes episode (in HD, if available) from one of the 25 shows in which any of the characters on my list appears. (You choose the show and the episode, and the particular episode doesn't necessarily have to be from 2010 . For example, if one of my favorite characters is Dean Winchester, you could choose "Devil's Trap" from Supernatural's first season. Last year, I believe Amanda chose one of the two hour Doctor Who specials, "Waters of Mars").
*When the contest deadline is over, I will review all the entrants. The first, according to the gmail timestamp, entry to correctly identify all 25 characters will win. However, should no one identify all 25 characters, the first timestamped entry to correctly name the GREATEST NUMBER of characters will be declared the winner. (Last year, Amanda got 24 of 25, only missing out on Supernatural's Castiel). So even if you don't know them all, you could and should enter.
Easy enough, right? Okay, same as last year, here are a few more rules, disclaimers and considerations:
- I'm going to limit myself to one character per show. In reality, when you look at the talent-rich casts of shows like Fringe, Boardwalk Empire, Terriers or Modern Family, I could fill up the collage with just them.
- None of the characters from the 2009 contest will be repeated here. Because if I did, every year, I would just post different pictures of Ron Fucking Swanson, Walter Bishop, Roger Sterling and Charlie Kelly.
- The characters are not necessarily the "best" characters, or the most expertly-portrayed characters. Just my favorites (within the confines of the contest rules, e.g., not on last year's list, aired in 2010, one per show).
- The characters listed will have to have been part of the regular cast or a recurring guest star, listed in the credits, and not a single-episode guest star. For example, Peter Weller as creepy ex-cop on Dexter? Eligible. Peter Weller as a creepy scientist on Fringe's haunting "White Tulip" episode? Not eligible.
- The characters have to be from an episode that originally aired in calendar year 2010.
- I'll publish the list and contest here on the blog and simultaneously tweet a link to the post. So no matter how you usually get here (casual reading, twitter, RSS reader, etc.) you'll have the same opportunity to play.
- You'll need a valid email address. Obviously, if I'm going to give the winner iTunes TV goodies, I'll have to send you a link to pick up your prize.
- Submissions are by email, rather than by comments posted on the blog itself, so that partial or incorrect submissions wouldn't give "hints" or "a leg up" to subsequent entries.
- The submissions can be sent to the email address on the side of this blog: TNRLMeditor(at)gmail.com
- Enter as many times as you like!
Remember, DON'T post your numbered entries or guesses in the comments. But, feel free to talk about your favorite characters there.
So, without further ado, here are the pictures: