Friday, July 31, 2009

Two I like, two I don't

During a drunken, channel flipping binge, I got sucked into "1939" night on TMC, and wound up watching all of Gone With The Wind and Wuthering Heights. I couldn't help but notice that in the first picture, GWTW, you had complicated, prickly and somewhat self-absorbed lovers who to this day remain classic cinematic characters who still engender audience empathy no matter what their destructive motivations and machinations. On the later showing of WH, I was astounded at how completely unlikable both of the central characters were. Olivier and Oberon each offered entrancing performances of course, but I completely despised both Heathcliff and Cathy. I vaguely recall reading Bronte's novel in high school, and seeing the flick shortly thereafter, but damn if the movie didn't do either of them any favors. And it was directed by the legendary William Wyler, too. WTF? Does anyone else recall such a visceral dislike for these narcissistic, manic-depressive assholes?

No comments:

Post a Comment