Friday, August 8, 2008

Dewey Decimal for DVD?

Anyone ever used a software application to catalog their DVD collection? Back in the salad days, I had glorious built in shelves down in the theatre room and kept every DVD organized alphabetically. I had thought about making a "list" of all my flicks in Word or Excel to keep handy. So when it comes time to watch a movie, you could just browse through a directory and say "Oh, I'd like to see that one." I never got around to it, mainly because I didn't want to sit in the basement typing movie titles for 3 weeks. (and if you add in other information, like primary actors, directors or genres, it could take forever).

I ran across a post on Lifehacker about this very subject, and there seem to be several apps that would work. My primary criteria:
  • Windows-based.
  • "Autofill." Or whatever you might call it. For example, if I just typed "Godfather" it would give me options to select all three of the movies and fill in the rest and format it. And once the movie is selected, the app would update the entry with the stars, director, writer, etc.
  • Work well with TV shows, too, since I seem to have a lot of those on DVD as well.
  • Export to a list that you could keep handy, beside your movie collection.
Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. I say, look into the video software from Readerware. You can use a barcode scanner on the UPS to gather all the information onto your PC. I have the software for books and it's been fantastic

    ReplyDelete