Tuesday, May 13, 2008

In praise of procedurals

In my television musings, I don't often write about "procedurals," typically overlooking those in deference to the ongoing plot complications of the more arc-defined shows like Lost or Battlestar Galactica. After all, by their nature, procedurals almost always wrap up the plot in a nice tidy package at the end of the hour, and don't send you scurrying to the interwebs to research the process by which new Dalai Lamas are chosen. But this past week, four of my favorite procedurals had amazing episodes that warrant some comment.

As many of you TV savants know, the producers of two CBS shows, Two and a Half Men and CSI: Original Recipe, decided to "swap shows" for an episode, and each write the other's program. I watched 2.5 (which I usually don't), and it was okay. The CSI gang did a fine job at sending up their directorial and storytelling tricks (especially the cop in the low cut tank top) on the sitcom, but it was the CSI story (written with cathartic relish by Chuck Lorre and Lee Aronsohn) that really brought the laughs. It was a clear send up of Lorre's time working under monstrous divas on Roseanne, Grace Under Fire and Cybill, and was consistently amusing for the entire hour without sacrificing the CSI characters. Even if you're a casual fan of CSI, it was definitely worth checking out.

I'm truly digging the new cast of Law and Order, which ranks with the all time line ups of the show. Last week's episode, where Connie (the ADA) had to act as defense attorney due to a legal aid strike, was fantastic. It featured a wonderfully nuanced performance by Alana de la Garza and is one of those that will be worth multiple rewatches when it goes to TNT.

Last night also provided two outstanding procedural episodes of FOX's best non-Idol programming: Bones and House. Bones was a lighthearted (for the most part) episode about an American Idol wannabee who was found dead and decapitated in the weeds. It had the usual crackling chemistry between the leads and the rest of the cast (and I love that Sweets is now integrated into the plots), and had the bonus of Brennan letting loose on a karaoke stage to sing Cyndi Lauper (quite admirably!). Of course, that was immediately followed up by a nutty stalker ruining the fun, only to be quickly dispatched. Two quick points: I go along with the flow with most of the suspension of disbelief on this show, and actually enjoy Bones' pop-culture obliviousness. But how the hell does she actually write novels with well rounded characters without any awareness of things outside her scholarly pursuits? And how can her murder mysteries be best-sellers if she is so disconnected with the world of pop-culture? That still bugs. And finally, my prediction for the Gormogon serial killer (to be revealed next week, I think) is the lab tech who has subbed for Zack occasionally (like when he was in Iraq) and popped up in the courtroom ep last week.

That brings us to House, which offered a tantalizing glimpse inside House's subconscious last night. We don't know how the story is going to wind up yet (it's the first part of a two parter), but I would put that first hour up there with some of House's best eps (such as the brilliant "Three Stories" and this year's ep with Mira Sorvino in a remote research station). I didn't catch on until the very end, but wandering through House's memories and perceptions was great fun. Plus? Cuddy in a schoolgirl outfit. Bonus geek points for featuring Ivana Milicevic (Riley's "perfect" wife Sam on Buffy) as "the clue." A good "preview" of the show, along with clips, can be found here at Mo Ryan's blog.

3 comments:

  1. How completely great have both Bones and House become? I loved these eps too... and I also agree with your thoughts on her lack of pop culture knowledge, though I LOVE the look on her face when she doesn't "get" something. David is so good on this show and it has been so fun watching him grow as an actor back to back from Buffy to Angel to Bones. He's come a long way!

    The House ep was so crazy great and I didn't see it until the last minute either. I have a feeling we are at the end for CB but I guess we'll have to wait and see...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, as long as Boreanaz doesn't do an Irish accent, I think it's a win for everyone. Both the leads on this show are crazy good, as is the rest of the cast. I actually like ALL the characters here, which makes the fact that the cases are occasionally slim just fine by me. That also helps me suspend disbelief on the whole "pop-culture/writer" thing.

    I hope you're wrong about CB. I love her passionately, and anything that brings more Wilson into the show is good in my book. They do have a problem with an overstuffed cast. I was okay with the original "cottages" for the first few seasons, but if they were to go in favor of the new 3, I wouldn't lose sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the "I don't know what that means" moments, both from Bones and the looks she gets from everyone around her.

    Re: House - I want to know why exactly CB was on the bus w/House...she doesn't strike me as an aficionado of public transportation.

    ReplyDelete