Friday, March 14, 2008

Where exactly does one come across 324 dead bodies?"

I know most of the buzz around the watercooler and the interwebs is that last night's Lost, "Ji Yeon," was another spectacular outing and a return to form after last week's disappointing Juliet episode. But I'm a bit torn. First, I think I must be rather alone in my Juliet worship, as I was very entertained by last week's ep (although the whole "save at the last second from the poisonous gas" thing was a little pedestrian for Lost, even though it did feature a chickfight). Second, I still don't know what to make of "Ji Yeon." I'm just absolutely bored to death with kids, especially babies. I don't understand the purpose, and it doesn't create any drama for me, and I just want the whole thing off my screen. Yes, I understand the fatal pregnancies are one of the plot underpinnings of my beloved show, but if we can keep it to scary tales of expiring island moms and not have to actually see any scenes of tummy rubbing, goo slathered infants, non-erotically grunting women in paper gowns and teary eyed parents, I'd be much happier. And to top that off, I'm conflicted on (SPOILERS AHOY) how the Jin flashBACK was handled. On one hand, I was totally fooled by the producer's time-shiftyness, despite the clue many picked up on, Jin's clunky "old school" cell phone (the same device, featuring Jack's ultra modern phone, was used in last season's mind fucking finale, the first and to that point unexpected, flashforward). When Jin referenced only been married for two weeks, it dawned on me and I was stoked. However, the more I thought about it, the more I resented the flashback, since it seemed to add little to the drama of the storytelling and served only to screw with our minds and artificially build drama. Of course, you could also argue that it provided a nice counterpoint to the "current" island time Jin, who accepted his flaws -- and more importantly, Sun's adulterous flaw -- after a nice fishing trip with Bernard and the realization that the "old" Jin wasn't that nice of a person. I can see that argument too, so you can begin to get a sense of the reservations I have about fully endorsing or fully panning this ep.

Whew. That's a long winded opening. Other clues to the setting, which Lostophiles could have, or even should have, picked up on: 1. the comment about it being the "year of the dragon" when the toy store dude tried to sell Jin an alternative to the "layaway" last panda. The last year of the dragon was in 2000, and another won't occur again until 2012; 2. Jin was working for Mr. Paik. Unless something dramatically changed, we couldn't possibly envision "future" Jin going back to his dirty work for Sun's dad. Although, would we have thought that Sayid would be a suave superassassin for pretending-to-be-a-vet Ben?

One last thing related to the Kwons. What a pair of brass ones on Juliet to toss out Sun's confession of an affair as a last ditch attempt to keep her from defecting to Locke's Extended Island Stay Club. (Am I also alone in immeasurably enjoying Juliet's continuing fashion choice of tank tops? Yeah? Shut up and move on, horndog). The way Jin handled the revelation, and his rededication to his wife was touching, but personally I think that's just something you don't come back from, no matter how cold and murderous you may have been while working for her dad. I can see having "the talk" in the living room, where my significant other tearfully confesses her secret life as a violent henchwoman snuffing out enemies of the Yakuza. "Oh, that's weird. Let's go get a beer and some wings." But "I was fucking my English teacher?" Nope, that's a dealbreaker. "I think I'll go bitch about daddy issues with Jack or play horseshoes with Sawyer and Hurley. See ya later, whore." Maybe that's just me.

The other thing muddling my appraisal of "Ji Yeon" was the long anticipated, and long expected, revelation of Michael as Ben's "man on the boat." Of course, we don't know for 100% certainty that he is indeed Ben's boy (though the previews pretty much solidify that). Since the fact that Harold Perrineau was rejoining the cast was out there, even if like me you're not actively seeking spoilers, it didn't come as much of a shock. Plus, seeing his name in the credits every week kinda gave it away. I realize there are probably some legal and credit issues that forced the producers to telegraph that, but wouldn't it have been so much sweeter to have that just out of nowhere? That would have soiled the underoos. I think back on several episodes of Buffy and Angel that featured big shocking guest appearances -- and that were spoiled during the first 5 minutes with a guest starring credit. (The only one I can recall not being telegraphed was Lindsay's appearance in bed with Eve during S5 of Angel). Couldn't they just sign some type of contract where dude gets his money -- without a credit appearing on the screen during first run episodes? Wouldn't that surprise be better? Still, I was on the edge of my seat as "Kevin Johnson" was "introduced" to Sayid. Can't wait to see next week.

Other thoughts, observations, questions and quotes:
  • Regina, the adorable Zoe Bell who I fell in love with watching Death Proof a couple of weeks ago, certainly made a statement about her affinity for the accommodations on board the Kahana, didn't she? (I'm guessing she did her own stunt). What was it that drove her to such drastic measures? Isaac the bartender couldn't make her pina colada correctly? And why was she reading the book upside down? And check out the book she was "reading." About people freaking out and dying on a ship at sea.
  • Although I can certainly understand. If it's true, as they told Sayid and Des, that there was a "problem in the kitchen" and all that was left were canned lima beans, I would probably toss myself off the ship, too. Or set myself ablaze on the roach infested cot.
  • "The thing is, it's not really my call, Sun." Awesome. I think I should get Jeremy Davies to leave the greeting message on my cell phone. (read to yourself in twitchy Faraday voice) "You know....... the thing is.....Shan can't really come to the phone now. Er.....maybe you should leave a message?"
  • Speaking of great line readings, how about "that's shouldn't still be there, dammit." Always a bit disconcerting when your new stateroom has blood and brainmatter splattered across the wall. Reminds me of some motels we stayed in at the Redneck Riviera during college. A lot of $5 cases of Busch Light eased the anxiety, though. Lima beans? Not so much.
  • Was that Expose featuring Nikki on Sun's TV for a brief second? Razzle Dazzle!
  • “Can you imagine what kind of resources and manpower go into pulling off a feat of that magnitude? Faking the recovery of a plane crash. Putting 324 families through a grieving process based on a lie….where exactly does one come across 324 dead bodies?” Not sure, but was that Charles Widmore's doing? And did you see Des' eyes bug out when he heard that good old Charles, Penny's dad, was the one who sent the freighter? At least according to the Captain, who the island boys were told not to trust. And couldn't Sayid get that Black Box to play, with a coat hanger, duct tape and about 10 minutes?
  • Speaking of the Captain, his name is Gault. Is it reference to this Captain Gault? Or perhaps a reference to one of my favorite fictional characters?
  • Do we now know for sure the Oceanic Six? Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, Sun and Aaron?
  • Where was Lapidus going on his late night mission?
  • Was the "RG" on Naomi's bracelet for Regina, newly invited to Davy Jones' Locker?
  • "I need the panda."

Damn. That's enough for now. Until next time, when we learn more about Kevin Johnson. And I'm guessing it's not this one.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment