Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Idol Night: The Final 12 for 2008

A brief preamble for new TNRLM readers. As long time readers and friends know, I despise "reality" TV. I'd much rather watch bad actors read bad scripts under bad direction than see "real" people fame whore their way through manipulatively edited pablum masquerading as entertainment. (And no, I don't count documentaries, news shows or sports as "reality" TV). I've given some of the "contest" reality shows, like The Amazing Race and Survivor, a chance and was just bored out of my mind, and found they spent way too much time with the confessionals, lame interpersonal drama, backstories and bullshit. I started watching Idol during season 2, mostly because my dear friends and fellow team trivia players watched Idol religiously, and I was missing out on all the Wednesday night chatter and analysis. This show hooked me because the contestants sang songs I knew, everyone could have an opinion on whether it was good or not, Simon was delightfully bitchy, Paula was clapping like a genetically modified seal and one prescription away from being committed AND thanks to the lord god TiVo almighty, I could fast forward through all the nausea inducing filler on the show and just watch the performances and the "judging."

I don't start watching until Idol gets to the Final 12, as I don't care for the William Hungs of the world, and really have no interest in anyone's "personal journey," and there are only so many hours one can devote to this crap. (I say that, having cheerfully committed to 2.5 hours each week to watching people discuss their neuroses in a single room on HBO's In Treatment). So tonight I will tune in and see Idol 2008 with fresh eyes. Being a pop culture junkie, I have absorbed some things about this crop of contestants. There's a 17 year old dude who is modest, talented and the prohibitive favorite to win. There's an Irish chick with a great voice and tattoos who once had a record that bombed. And there's a chick with skunk hair. That's all I know.

I'll be here every week with comments and ratings on the performances, and my picks for the Top and Bottom 3s. Fire up the TiVo, get Paula some oxycontin, break out your best "yo, yo, yo Dawg" (and remember -- Randy was in Journey for a nanosecond and worked with Mariah!), brush up on your British slang, take a drink every time you hear the phrase "pitchy" and join TNRLM in the nonsense, because.......THIS..........is American Idol.

No comments:

Post a Comment