Friday, February 15, 2008

If you have an appointment, leave 31 minutes early.

Okay, at some point I should just set up a cut and paste shortcut that reads “Holy Shit! What another great episode of Lost!” Because we’re 3 for 3 this season, y’all. Last night’s ep, “The Economist,” was yet another considered, action-packed mind-blower.

In no particular order, some highlights, quotes and questions (and if you haven’t watched this ep…..SPOILERS!):

  • Naomi’s bracelet had an inscription: “N, I’ll always love you. RG.” Who is “RG?” And does Elsa (the chick Sayid dusts in the flash-forward) have a similar bracelet? Or the same bracelet?
  • Sayid is one of the Oceanic 6. That makes 4 we know (Kate, Jack, Hurley and now Sayid).
  • After globe-trotting man-of-mystery and international-killer-for-hire Sayid whacks that guy who met him on a deserted golf course, I realized it’s probably good for humanity that I don’t similarly carry a gun in my golf bag. (“Three putt? On the first hole? The motherfucking round is ruined! Bam!”)
  • Ken Leung is a magnificent prick. First we had Sawyer’s southern fried sarcasm, now we have Miles’ in your face ghostbuster sarcasm. Totally awesome. I'd like to hire him just to walk around with me and insult people.
  • “So what was he, a diplomat?”
  • “I’ll let you know when I decide.”
  • Tonight's best quotage, drolly delivered by Hurley: “Oh awesome. The ship sent us another Sawyer.”
  • “I saw you snap that guy’s neck with that breakdancing thing you do with your legs. I think I’ll hang back here.”
  • “I know it’s no use having friends you can’t trust.”
  • Did it really take 31 “extra” minutes for the test rocket to arrive on the island? Is the island in some type of time dilation bubble? Is it a constant 31 minutes behind? Or does this fluctuate? And even more illogical, if this 31 minute gap occurs with the rocket, how do folks on the island communicate with those off of it, with questions/responses happening immediately? (Faraday's conversations with the boat this season, or even last season’s Charlie/Penny convo in the undersea station). Are transmission waves (and not objects) unaffected by the time difference?
  • ''The day I start trusting him is the day I sell my soul.''
  • Hurley was a plant? Part of Locke’s strategy? Sweet innocent Hugo? “Sorry dude.”
  • “How long do you think we can play house?” (Ouch. Well, Kate, the usual answer is “until the money runs out. And your loins ache with a desire to be filled with coins and anonymous cocks.” However, I think in your case, the answer is “oh good christ, until Jack shows up again and decides he likes you better than Juliet”).
  • ”Follow the exact same bearing.”
  • “Send me a postcard.”
  • "In case you zoned out while you were tweezing your goatee . . ."
  • Funny when the former torturer is the more stable negotiator than the doc.
  • Where did Jacob’s cabin go? I’m fairly certain the bizarre “ash” was still there. Does it move around? Or just vanish?
  • Our old buddy Ben has a lot of passports. The name on one of them was “Dean Moriarty.” Obviously, you think of Sherlock Holmes’ nemesis. But googling the full name shows that it’s also a character from On The Road.
  • Okay, so let me get this straight. In the future, off the island, Sayid is now a stone cold killer, working for….dunDUNdun….Ben! Who appears to be incognito as a German veterinarian. Why is he working for Ben? What does Ben have over him? ''Do you want to protect your friends or not?'' What does this mean? What friends? The others in the Oceanic 6? Protect them from what? From Ben? And who are the people on Ben’s list to be killed? Why are they on there? Does he make them up himself, or do they come from someone else?
  • And maybe I’m just ultra cynical (shocking, I know) but I found it appropriate that an ep with two lovers, both with false identities, who betrayed and then shot each, aired on Valentine’s Day.

And finally, I found this little tidbit about Charlotte (“CS”) Lewis in Ausiello’s column over at TV Guide. For a while, our own little Veronica Mars, Kristen Bell, was in talks to join Lost as Lewis However, she wound up going on to Heroes, opening up the door for Rebecca Mader to take the same role.

No comments:

Post a Comment