Saturday, September 8, 2007

Time's 100 Best TV Shows of All Time. And we can't be in love if you don't watch some of them.

Time recently published a list of the 100 Best TV Shows of All Time. Naturally, this will spark some debate. And ordinarily, I would write about 204,500 words on the subject. But I'm looking at a glorious sunrise over the mountains and my mind is already drifting toward Athens, so I'll try to be brief.

One of my favorite TV critics, Maureen Ryan, has her take here.

As I usually agree with her opinions, I think she's right in her opening "huh?" reaction to the list: No Angel. No Farscape. No Frasier. No Northern Exposure. All those would definitely be in my Top 100.

Other glaring omissions off the top of my head:

Magnum PI
Star Trek The Next Generation
Sports Night
News Radio
Dexter
Firefly
Veronica Mars

Shows that I was pleasantly surprised to see on the list, though in my mind they should OBVIOUSLY be there:

Arrested Development
Battlestar Galactica

Buffalo Bill
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Deadwood
Lost
Moonlighting
Rocky and his Friends
Soap
Star Trek
The X-Files

Oddly, a couple of weeks ago I was having a similar conversation with a brilliant friend about "must see" TV shows, and I put together a short list of shows that my "significant other" would have to have watched and loved, or at least be open to trying, or there could be no basis and foundation for a lasting relationship. (Oh, yeah, love and sex and trust and respect and wit and charm and all that are still important. But c'mon, television is a critical ingredient of any successful coupledeom. You know you agree with that). All the shows on my short list are on the Time Top 100, or in my list of omissions. In no particular order, that list consisted of Battlestar Galactica, Arrested Development, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Farscape, Deadwood, The Sopranos, Lost, any of the Treks, Moonlighting, Northern Exposure, Veronica Mars, Seinfeld, The X-Files, Lost.

What else was missing from the Top 100? And do you have a "relationship" short list?

No comments:

Post a Comment