Friday, August 31, 2007

Just like X-Mas...

...Except that we can prove that Larry Munson is real.

I've been getting up early, but today was ridiculous. I woke up at 4:30, sans alarm, giddy with anticipation over the kickoff of UGA football. Today is much different than any of the other home game weekends since 1983, since it is in essence, for me, an "away" game. There won't be any adorning the ride with magnetic helmets and logos and tattered window flags that make that annoying "flap flap" sound down 85. Instead, I'll be wondering which of the items on my "gameday checklist" will pass through airport security. (Good news? I can bring the Zippo. And breast milk). Though I doubt Delta will allow me to hang a Bulldog flag out the window of a 737, even if I'm in First Class. (I'm sure the "flap flap" sound wouldn't last long after take off, and I'd probably wind up sucked out the tiny window like the awful "alien hybrid child" in the wretched Alien Resurrection. But not before knocking down a few Crowns!)

Speaking of Munson, here's a nice article from the AJC on his generation of broadcasters.

Check out ESPNs pretty boy Kirk Herbstreit's "Herbie" awards here
. Hardly any UGA mentions, as we seem to have low expectations this year and be flying under the radar of many pundits. Stafford is mentioned in the "what a difference a year makes" section about QBs, and to that, I say "yep!" Hell, what a difference a few weeks made. The #7 we saw in first half of the season didn't resemble the #7 that lit up the last few opponents on the schedule as the Dawgs finished strong. We do top the list of hottest coeds (again, "yep!") and it's interesting to note that 8 of the top 10 in this category are SEC schools. Great education. Great football. The rest is just a bonus. But UGA not on his list of "best gameday experience?" Were he and Corso hanging out in Winder all day? However, Brent Layton would be pleased with his band assessment.

Knowshon (that's really going to be a problem for the spell checker this year) brings the "Wow." Will he be another Sterling Boyd? Or another Garrison Hearst? I'm leaning toward believing the hype with this one, providing he gets enough carries.

For readers of this new blog (and not my old one over on the Space), I'll be back later this weekend with my thoughts and observations from the tailgate and the game. Until then, Go Dawgs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment