Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Today's Guilt

Just what it sounds like. Things I feel guilty about today.

  1. I really like UT basketball coach Bruce Pearl. Of course it's in my DNA to hate all things UT, and generally they make it easy with their pompous, backwoods and borderline illiterate football coach, mind-numbing "Rocky Top" song, checkerboard end zone, toothless inbred fans and school colors that look like the result of feeding a digestively challenged toddler too many strained carrots. But for some reason, I like Pearl. He led a small school to the dance previously, is about as charismatic as they come (today's appearance on PTI was another example of his wit and enthusiasm), produces results on the court, and of course there's his compelling train wreck of displaying school spirit by showing up shirtless and body painted for a Lady Vols game. Dammit. I hate this.
  2. After starting off with an exhilarating 4 hours, this season of 24 has degenerated into a boring mess. Yes, there's always a lull in the middle hours. Yes, they still have one of the all time great TV characters and total badasses in Jack Bauer. Yes, Chloe is still endearingly annoying (kissing Morris for a "breath test" last night; telling former President Logan last week "Sorry, I'm feeling ambivalent. I'm going to go.") But the plots (after nuke detonation to begin the season) feel stale. I loved DB Woodside on Buffy, and even as the junior Palmer in previous seasons when we was just that -- a junior Palmer. But as president, he just doesn't have the gravitas to carry it off. Even the scenery chewing of Powers Boothe leaves the Oval Office feeling empty. I hate Milo (Eric Balfour), and the detour into the fucked up Bauer family was nothing but a semi-entertaining distraction (dry cleaning bags on the head are fun. James Cromwell's a hell of an actor, and Rena Sofer is hot. But still). Like I typically do, I'll continue to Tivo it and see if it picks up,(and I'm surprised it hasn't with all the talent available both behind and in front of the screen) but must-watch-TV had become I'll-get-around-to-it-later-especially-if-Heroes-is-on-TV.
  3. I have a hankering for a huge plate of chili cheese fries. Not only are they a messy pain in the ass to make, and I'm a creature of limited willpower, but I've heard they're really not good for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment