Saturday, January 27, 2007

Sometimes I feel like a Six. Sometimes an Eight.

(when I wrote that headline, I wanted to start singing the "Peter Paul Almond Joy has nuts" song. God, when is too early to start drinking heavily?)

Another beautiful, intelligent and almost poetic recap on last week's BSG:

Rapture Recap

Random comments about the recap:

Right on with the Adama/Helo/Roslin scene. Master acting class, and for Helo to not be blown off the screen with these two pros is quite remarkable.

I, for one, was never in the camp of "too much Cylon stuff! Get off the basestar! I want my evil robots faceless and unexplained!" (Hell, in my own life, the Evil still wouldn't explain itself, and I don't need to be living that shit again on my TV show. Speaking of which, do they screen sappy movies on the basestar, where they justify evil by saying "being a Cylon means never having to say you're sorry?" Part of having two protagonists is understanding the reasoning and motivation behind each side. Whether you agree with it or not is beside the point – the point is knowing it and having it illuminated. Or at least seeing something identifiable or logical behind it. In Galactica world I certainly don't need to hear Cavil mumble something about "hey, sorry about that exterminating humanity thing, sorry about the lying and betrayal, sorry about the torture and "occupation" stuff." And even if they did, I'd still find them fascinating and still find them evil. I just want to see a glimmer of WHY they want to exterminate life. And I think we have. But the Evil in real life? Uh, yeah, that would nice and helpful).

Sly and funny Alanis snark on page 8.

Yes, the "pyramid/basketball/turning a double play" thing between Anders and Apollo with the live grenade was cool – but huh? If Anders was in a better place to toss it without getting shot, then why not just toss him the grenade with the pin, have Anders pull it, and then toss it at the toasters? Cool, yes. Illogical? Er, yeah.

Where the fuck did Cavil come from on the planet? Bad writing or bad editing?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: "Your model is fundamentally flawed." How many different places philosophically can I grab onto this, screaming impotently into the wind, putting a bearhug on the vapor of nothingness?


No comments:

Post a Comment