Sunday, January 28, 2007

Sam Malone never threw anyone out of an airlock

The best show on TV just keep getting better. Tonight's BSG, "Taking a care from all your worries" was another riveting hour of television.

The title, as I'm sure you recognized, is from the Cheers theme song. (Evidently, Ronald D. Moore and the staff are fans, as they should be. When he was on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, they had an alien character always present at Quark's bar named "Morn" -- an anagram of "Norm"). More than just that homage, however, it also tied thematically to the worries suffered by most of the principals here, including Gaius, Laura, Adama, Chief, the Quadrangle and even Gaeta. And give James Callis an Emmy.

I didn't realize EJO was going to be directing this one, but frak, he did a great job. The close ups were intense but not overdone, the dream sequence edgy (I'm with ya Gaius, but I don't have a hot blonde robot egging me on) and the drug fueled interrogations quite a trip.

Particularly memorable:

"I always knew I was different, special, maybe a little gifted."
"To marriage -- it's why they build bars."
Laura's first interrogation devolving into a screaming match, with the special guest appearance from Madame Airlock!
"Kara Thrace and her special destiny. Sounds like a bad cover band."
"I did see this coming and I married you anyway." (Right there with ya, Dee).
"Try not to make any loud noises." (Always helpful advice when beginning the long, hard hallucinogenic trip. Er, or so I've heard. From others).
Burnt kids around the tub. Eerie.
"He won't buy that coming from us." "Of course not."
"I didn't think I ever really realized that until I knew that I was losing you." (Like that's gonna work, Lee).
Every thing that Saul Motherfucking Tigh says.
"Creature comforts. That's the clincher." (and loved the wave to the camera. Callis' whole take on the scene, staring broken and scared and winding up playing with Gaeta was just top notch acting. I was serious about the Emmy before).
Adama's solution with Gaeta? Priceless. That's how you negotiate with a hostage taker.

Not so much:
Can we please put an end to Dawson's Galactica? Is the quadrangle dead? Pretty pretty please? And the intercuts between Lee and Gaius toward the end, each baring their soul, felt too manipulative to me and didn't exactly balance in the grand scheme. I don't see a lot of parallelism between genocide and adultery (though both should be punished by Airlocking! Unless it's Gaius).

Absolutely riveting.

No comments:

Post a Comment