Sunday, November 23, 2008

A bold new idea!

Bookswim is a service that allows you to select books you want to read, and then have them delivered to your house. You can keep them until you're finished reading them, and then return them for more books. It's like NetFlix for books!

Uh, isn't this called a fucking LIBRARY?

Look, I hate interacting with the masses just as much, if not more, than most. And I'm a firm believer in having just about anything delivered right to the front door. But on the surface, this just seems idiotic. I can logon to my local library, select the books I want online, and then walk in right to the front desk and have them all bundled up for me and ready to go. I'm in and out in less than 2 minutes. And they have a drive up drop off when I'm done. Oh, and it's FREE. Also, if I want auidobooks, can't I just never leave the house and have them delivered straight into iTunes? Or, for those that have a Kindle and want to "read," you can do the same thing. How is this ever going to fly? Part of the workability of the NetFlix business model is that DVDs are slight, easy to handle and not postage hogs. Books are bulky and expensive to mail.

This cracks me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment