Friday, March 21, 2008

Evil genius winds up with poundcake. And someone hates these cans.

I haven't said this so far this season, but I have to admit: Last night's Lost, "Meet Kevin Johnson," was a disappointment. There. I typed it.

I was really on the fence about last week's installment, featuring tricky (and some might argue shamelessly hacky) time manipulations in the continuing (for some) story of Sun and Jin. But in hindsight, I wound up with more of a positive than negative experience, and was eagerly anticipating the last ep of the pre-strike production. (Lost isn't returning until later in April). Suffice to say, "Kevin Johnson" was kind of "meh" for me, and won't motivate me to blog pages and pages about the narrative and implications. Perhaps it's the fact that despite a fondness for actor Harold Perrineau and an appreciation for his talent, I've never really liked the character of Michael Dawson. Up until the time he snuffed (mercifully) Ana Lucia and (regrettably) Libby, he could basically be summed up in one phrase: "Waaaaaaaaalllllllt!!!!!" I've explained before how kid-centric plotlines bore me to tears, and Michael's is a prime example.

Still, there were a few choice quotes, questions and scenarios from last night, so here ya go:
  • “I’m here to die.”
  • My favorite quote from last night, and one of the best of the season: “Considering a week ago you had a gun to his head and tonight he’s eating poundcake, I’d say he’s a guy who gets what he wants.”
  • If Michael really wanted Walt to find the suicide note pinned to his chest, shouldn't he have wrapped it in a sandwich bag, or taken it to Kinkos to have it laminted, so the blood and viscera wouldn't smudge the ink?
  • Nice to see ya, Libby. Looking good.
  • So Michael pawned Jin's watch to get himself a handgun. Didn't Jin try to kill Mike over the same watch? Ironic.
  • In the alley, Mr. Friendly asked Mike the time. Even more ironic, since Mike couldn't tell him the time, since he didn't have a watch, since he pawned it for the handgun. For some reason, this amused me to no end.
  • And even more irony: Sayid "outs" Mike to the captain, because he works for Ben and can't be trusted. What will be Sayid be putting on his resume in the future? Yep.
  • "The island won't let you." So the island's "reach" extends off the island? Is this the same "power" that kept future Jack from jumping off the bridge?
  • So that speculation about Mr. Friendly being light in the loafers appears to be true. He seemed to be having a good time, living up in the hotel with "Arturo." Sure beats wearing a fake beard. Or using a fake beard like Kelly Preston or Katie Holmes.
  • How the hell does he get on and off the island?
  • Coen Brothers fans instantly recognized the hotel where Mr. Friendly was staying: The Hotel Earle.
  • "We kind of like, knew that, forever ago.”
  • When Mike's suicide attempt (with the gun) fails, the TV is featuring a trivia show asking a question about Kurt Vonnegut. Slaughterhouse Five, by Vonnegut, is about Billy Pilgrim, who becomes "unstuck in time." Sound familiar?
  • “Well, it wouldn’t be a sanctuary if I told everyone, would it?”
  • Next time I need to buy corpses, I’ll know to shop in Thailand. Evidently, there's a discount if you buy in bulk. 10% off if you buy more than 320!
  • “I figure flying can’t be too much fun for you.”
  • I did love the "NOT YET" note popping up. Unexpected twist, and great that Ben was using it as a test for Mikey.
  • And Karl and Rousseau bite the dust? Sad, I guess, but I was nonplussed. So much so that all I could think of was this:



No comments:

Post a Comment