Sunday, October 7, 2007

I am not Nostradamus.

Nor am I Jimmy the Greek. Or the guy Wooderson played in that awful flick with Pacino. Nope, I didn't pick games very well. More on the UGA - UT "game" later, if I can type without throwing up.

This lack of prognostication skills relates to an appearance as a special guest "picker" in the Freebirds' weekly college football pool. The past couple of weeks, my friends were lamenting the fact that they had gotten only 2 or 3 right (out of 10) in their weekly pick 'em pool and were at wits end. To change the juju, they suggested I pick for them this week. I was happy to oblige. Rules were simple. You had 15 games and you had to pick 10. Here were my choices:

Favorite Underdog Spread Pick
South Carolina Kentucky 3.5 Kentucky
Georgia Tech Maryland 2.5
Maryland
Miami (FL) North Carolina 7.5
Auburn Vandy 8.5 Auburn
Illinois Wisconsin 2.5 Wisconsin
Oklahoma Texas 9.5
Tennessee Georgia 2.5 Georgia
Florida State NC State 17.5
Penn State Iowa 7.5
Clemson Virginia Tech 5.5 Clemson
Rutgers Cincinnati 3.5 Rutgers
LSU Florida 7.5 Florida
Ohio State Purdue 6.5 Purdue
UCLA Notre Dame 20.5
Missouri Nebraska 6.5 Nebraska

Green is correct. Red is incorrect. As you can see, I only improved their fortunes if their previous batting average was .000, .100 or .200. Ouch.

Sorry about that Freebirds.

3 comments:

  1. Its more difficult than you would think. (Although seemingly easier for the 35 other people in this contest who are in front of us). We had an average of 4 for 16 points through the first four weeks, so we continue the slide. However, the missus and I decided to do our picks this week without looking at yours, just to see how we would have done. The Missus with an 8-2 week, me 7-3: Far better than any other weeks we've had. (Of course if we had turned those picks in, I'm sure we would have had another 3 or less week).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure whether that makes me feel good or bad. Send me the picks next week (I'm sure you won't use my "talents" for the official ballot) so we can see if it's just a curse of the "official" picks turned in. Usually, in college/pro pools I've hit in the 55 - 60% range, but this was just awful. And I actually felt good about those as I picked them. Blergh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told DHuff last night that he is now on the clock. Surely, we have a Nostradamus type somewhere in our midst.

    However, you can also join in the posting of your non-scoring sheet, which I am sure will be much better than our official picks.

    ReplyDelete