Thursday, September 13, 2007

Crown the Best Emmy winning sitcom

Speaking of Emmys, this weekend (and before they air on Sunday), I'll try to add some more predictions to my ledger with a "will win, should win" preview.

However, here's a fun game courtesy of EW, that lets you vote on the best sitcom of all time.

There are some BRUTAL Sophie's choices.

First round: Barney Miller vs. Taxi. I was really torn on that one, but have such fond memories of watching Barney Miller with Sam& Bettye I went that way. And as good as Reverend Jim and Louie Depalma were, I hated Latka (I never got the Andy Kaufman thing, though it did inspire a good REM song) and didn't much appreciate the talents of master thespian Tony Danza.

Cheers vs. Frasier. Another really, really hard choice. Both were master classes in comic writing and acting, with nary a weak link. I went with Cheers, if only for being first and slightly more accessible, though I truly appreciated Frasier's urbane scripts.

Holy shit! Arrested Development vs. The Office? How do you make these choices? One of the best -- if not THE best -- of all time vs. the current best on TV? But of course, regular TNRLM readers will know how I voted here.

Semifinals (for me): Cheers vs. Arrested Development. Tough, tough, tough.

Finals (for me): Arrested Development vs. Seinfeld. I'm glad it came down to these two, because I would definitely put them 1-2 in my pantheon of all time favorite (and best, though I do recognize early greats like Mary Tyler Moore, MASH and All in the Family) sitcoms, with Cheers a close 3. In the end, I had to go with AD simply because of the spectacular and circuitous scripts, the pitch perfect casting and acting, and the endless rewatchability that always makes me laugh out loud.

1 comment:

  1. AD and Seinfeld would be my top 2 as well but I would go with Seinfeld on the basis on longivity.

    ReplyDelete