Thursday, July 26, 2007

Quickies

I've been trolling liquor stores lately (just for the free moving boxes, y'all. Really) and haven't had much time to post, but here are a few items just to tide my loyal six readers over:

I still don't have a clue what's going on with John From Cincinnati. But I still keep watching.

Psych had been tighter and funnier this year than last.

Sunday's episode of The 4400, "The Marked," was about an abductee with the "special power" to uncover conspiracies and then turn them into D-level, Ed Wood esque horrible movies. The movies within the show were funny as hell. If you didn't catch this, look for the reruns. It's definitely worth your time. Also, the filmmaker character from the episode, Curtis Peck, has his own myspace page. It features a scene from his Kennedy assassination masterpiece, Dead - Completely Dead.

I gave Saving Grace a try. Too early to call on this one. While I like Leon Rippy's tobacco chewing angel, and Holly Hunter looks great and acts her ass off, there's a fine line between X-Files supernatural intrigue and more literal biblical explanations. I'll watch again, but I'm not sure it will be added to the prestigious Season Pass list.

Speaking of TNT, The Closer has been better than ever. It seems like they've been ping-ponging back and forth between heavy, serious episodes and light hearted farce. Which has been great. Last Monday's episode, with an ornery Brenda Leigh, the team in hazmat suits and the dumbest criminals ever (rivaling Ruthless People's "this could very well be the stupidest man on the face of the earth") was laugh out loud funny.

I guess I won't be appearing in a Disney movie anytime soon. Nor will Mickey be lighting up the post-coital Marlboro after a night with Minnie. Which reminds me of one of my favorite jokes: Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse are in Divorce Court. The judge says to Mickey, "Let me get this straight. You say you want to divorce Minnie on the grounds of 'insanity?'" Mickey looks at the judge and says, "No, I didn't say she was insane. I said she was fucking Goofy."

Lindsay Lohan is a wet, hot disturbing mess. You'd almost think she was from Columbus, GA, except that she's earned her childhood money standing up.

ESPN gets a lot of shit around the blogosphere (and with good reason. That "Who's Now" excrement is an affront to broadcasting and all measures of intelligence), but their town hall meeting about Barry Bonds last night was very well done. I could have watched that for another hour. It was balanced, interesting and represented several different viewpoints.

Casting is coming in for the adaptation of the greatest "comic book" (and I use that term lightly. More like "illustrated literature") ever, Watchmen. Can't wait for this one.

Lost news: "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllt!"

Great casting for the new Trek movie.

For the past year or so, I've gotten into the habit of watching some middle of the road procedural on the Tivo when I go to bed. I used to watch SportsCenter, but between the "boo-yahs," endless/mindless self-promotion and "Who's Now" I just couldn't stomach it. At first I tried Without a Trace. I liked Anthony LaPaglia and Poppy Montgomery is smoking hot, but the overall tone was just too dour and humorless, and too many of the missing subjects were kids. And I hate kids on my TV. So next I tried CSI: Miami. Now, I'm a fan of CSI: Original Recipe, but never really watched any of the others. Here's what I've discovered about CSI: Miami. I have a crush on Emily Proctor. (Hot blonde with a real southern accent? Wow). And this show is much better when viewed as a comedy. I mean, David Caruso is hysterical! In his honor, enjoy this oldie but goodie: Caruso's CSI: Miami one liners. Once it starts, you just can't stop watching. Just for fun, here's Jim Carrey's homage. And finally, I think Caruso's sunglasses deserve an Emmy for best supporting actor.

2 comments:

  1. You are so right about Caruso. He makes CSI Miami a joke so it must be watched as a comedy. One of my favorite moments from 2 seasons ago was when the 18 wheeler HAD TO BE STOPPED or it would crash into the nuclear power plant. All the cops were there, including the SWAT team but what steely eye do we need behind the sniper scope so the truck could be taken down? You got it- H. Caine. Then the shot, the big explosion-classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't gotten to that one yet. But I'm looking forward to the comedy yet to come. It's just SO DIFFERENT than Vegas -- Grissom hardly ever does "one man show," while HoCaine is the center of the universe in Miami.

    ReplyDelete