Sunday, June 24, 2007

Water not the only thing of questionable purity.

San Francisco mayor Gavin Newsome is leading a campaign to ban the sale and use of bottled water on government property. This comes after he banned the use of the far more convenient and environmentally friendly plastic grocery bags. (You'll just have to trust me on the grocery bag thing. I know far more about this than anyone should. When you've examined landfills and written white papers, come back and see me).

Look, I'm not a reactionary tree hugger by any means, especially when it comes to sacrificing commerce or convenience for a potentially mythical crisis that really won't impact the planet until long after I'm contributing to the Earth's supply of fertilizer. But I have nothing against tap water, and probably drink far more of that than the bottled stuff. But it seems like Newsome should worry less about tapping water and more about tapping the wife of his best friend and deputy chief of staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment