Infielder Willy Aybar is nowhere to be found. Aybar, who was obtained in the deal for Wilson Betetmit last year (and I hated to see Betemit go, though he's hitting less than .100 right now), was to be the back up for Chipper when he invariably suffers a foot injury at some point during the year.
He had the typical "visa problems" getting to spring training, and suffered a hand injury that put him on the shelf for a while. Then, he failed to show up for treatment for the injury and has not been seen nor heard from since. Huh? Is he on an island getting a new nickname from Sawyer? What is this? How does a player on a major league roster just vanish? I haven't read anything about contract squabbles or pulling a Derek Bell (the hilarious "Operation Shutdown"). Where the hell is he?
Possible reasons for Willy Aybar's disappearance:
- Bob Wickman threatened to take his per-diem meal money every day.
- With Scott Thorman and Pete Orr on the roster, there are too many Canadians around. And from watching South Park, you know they can't be trusted.
- Was last seen partying with Ron Mexico.
- Got map to stadium from Pascual Perez.
- Man-crush on Jeff Francouer was unrequited.
- Thought Oceanic 815 was team charter.
- Disappointed that Chipper doesn't resemble Heather Mills yet.
- He's been playing with the Atlanta Hawks, and no one noticed.
- Irrational fear of John Schuerholz's suspenders.